On the heels of Roger Clemens being acquitted on all charges in his perjury trial, new Astros owner Jim Crane told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com last night that he would welcome the seven-time Cy Young Award winner back into the organization in some capacity.
“I’m happy he got a good result, and we look forward to talking to him soon,” Crane said. “Any time you get a Roger Clemens in the mix, you’d have to welcome him back with open arms.”
“We want to see what he wants to do,” Crane said. “I’m sure he’ll need a little time. He’s been busy, but we definitely want to talk to him. He’s got a contract with us, and he could add a dimension we might need somewhere down the road or immediately. As soon as he’s ready to talk, we’ll be ready to talk to him.”
Clemens posted a 2.40 ERA in 84 starts with the Astros from 2004-2006. “The Rocket” won his seventh Cy Young in his first season with the club and played a major part in the team’s World Series run in 2005. He was signed to a personal services contract under former owner Drayton McLane, but hasn’t been involved with the team since 2007.
Former Red Sox first baseman Hanley Ramirez is reportedly being “eyed” in an ongoing federal and state investigation, per Michele McPhee of ABC News. McPhee did not elaborate on the exact nature of the investigation itself, but provided a few more details during an interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub on Friday:
“Obviously, I know absolutely nothing about sports or Hanley Ramirez’s stats, but what I do know is crime,” McPhee said. “And there has been some reports about a FaceTime phone call that was made between a man during a car stop. After that car stop, police recovered a significant amount of drugs. And during that car stop, the suspect claimed that one of the items found in the vehicle belonged to Hanley Ramirez and then FaceTimed [Ramirez] in front of police. And that car stop coordinated with the timing of his release from the Red Sox.”
McPhee further clarified that she thinks the suspect — who was reportedly transporting 435 grams of fentanyl and a “large amount” of crack cocaine — was tied to “a sweeping federal case involving a substantial ring that’s being operated out of Lawrence, Massachusetts.”
Ramirez, the Red Sox, and Major League Baseball have all denied knowledge of any current investigation. According to the Boston Globe’s Alex Speier, Red Sox VP of media relations Kevin Gregg insisted that Ramirez had been dropped from the team for baseball reasons alone and had not been made aware of an investigation at the time of his release.
“Hanley has no knowledge of any of the allegations contained in this media report and he is not aware of any investigation,” the infielder’s agent, Adam Katz, added Friday.
The 34-year-old Ramirez was designated for assignment on May 25 and became a free agent on June 1. Prior to his release, he batted .254/.313/.395 over 195 plate appearances, 302 shy of the 497-PA threshold he would have needed to cross in order to activate his vesting option for 2019. He’s still owed the remainder of his $22 million salary for 2018.