This is an interesting bit of inside information.
As reported Saturday by Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona, the Red Sox asked for outfielder Gerardo Parra from the D’Backs when shopping third baseman Kevin Youkilis earlier this month.
Parra is only 25 years old, making close to the league minimum, an elite defensive outfielder and an important part of Arizona’s current roster matrix, so the Snakes politely declined Boston’s request.
But it gives us fans and bloggers a taste of what the Red Sox are looking for in a deal involving Youk.
The 33-year-old is batting .212/.295/.341 with four homers and 13 RBI in 149 plate appearances this season. He’s making a $12 million salary for 2012 and carries a $13 million option (or $1 million buyout) for 2013.
The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.
However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”
Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.
Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.
Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.
No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.