Blue Jays place Drew Hutchison on disabled list with UCL sprain

14 Comments

After leaving last night’s start in the first inning with what was described as right elbow soreness, Blue Jays right-hander Drew Hutchison was placed on the disabled list this morning with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament.

According to Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com, Hutchison will be shut down for the next two weeks before being re-evaluated. Blue Jays manager John Farrell told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca that all signs point toward him avoiding Tommy John surgery, but he will likely seek a second opinion to rule out a possible tear of the ligament.

Hutchison, 21, made his major league debut on April 21 and posted a 4.60 ERA and 49/20 K/BB ratio in 58 2/3 innings prior to the injury.

The Blue Jays recalled right-hander Robert Coello from Triple-A Las Vegas to replace Hutchison on the active roster, but he is expected to pitch out of the bullpen. Carlos Villanueva pitched four scoreless innings in relief last night against the Phillies and could be a candidate to take Hutchison’s spot in the rotation. The 28-year-old right-hander made 13 starts with the Jays last year, but also missed some time with a forearm strain.

Red Sox employees “livid” over team pay cut plan

Getty Images
10 Comments

Even Drellich of The Athletic reports that the Boston Red Sox are cutting the pay of team employees. Those cuts, which began to be communicated last night, apply to all employees making $50,000 or more. They are tiered cuts, with people making $50-99,000 seeing salary cut by 20%, those making $100k-$499,000 seeing $25% cuts and those making $500,000 or more getting 30% cuts.

Drellich reported that a Red Sox employee told him that “people are livid” over the fact that those making $100K are being treated the same way as those making $500K. And, yes, that does seem to be a pretty wide spread for similar pay cuts. One would think that a team with as many analytically-oriented people on staff could perhaps break things down a bit more granularly.

Notable in all of this that the same folks who own the Red Sox — Fenway Sports Group — own Liverpool FC of the English Premier League, and that just last month Liverpool’s pay cut/employee furlough policies proved so unpopular that they led to a backlash and a subsequent reversal by the club. That came after intense criticism from Liverpool fan groups and local politicians. Sox owner John Henry must be confident that no such backlash will happen in Boston.

As we noted yesterday, The Kansas City Royals, who are not as financially successful as the Boston Red Sox, have not furloughed employees or cut pay as a result of baseball’s shutdown in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps someone in Boston could call the Royals and ask them how they managed that.