The Marlins were given quite the scare this afternoon, as Hanley Ramirez was hit in the nose by a batted ball which bounced off a batting cage screen in the cage at Tropicana Field.
Ramirez was scratched from tonight’s lineup against the Rays as a result of the incident, but Marlins’ manager Ozzie Guillen told Coley Harvey of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that the injury doesn’t appear to be serious.
“He’s kind of dizzy right now,” Guillen said of Ramirez about two hours before Friday’s first pitch. “He should be ready (Saturday). The trainers don’t think it’s anything big, but they want to wait for the doctor to see how it is.”
Donovan Solano made the start at the hot corner tonight, but Greg Dobbs is also an option to fill in if Ramirez needs to miss a few days.
After being limited to just 92 games in 2011 due to a shoulder injury which eventually required surgery, Ramirez is hitting .259/.336/.461 with 11 home runs, 37 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .797 OPS through through 63 games this season. He’s grounded into 10 double plays, which is tied with Cubs’ outfielder Alfonso Soriano for the National League lead.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.