Derek Lowe on Dusty Baker: “I have zero respect for the guy”

14 Comments

In last night’s Reds-Indians game, Cleveland starter Derek Lowe was brushed back with a mid-90s fastball from Mat Latos. Not something you see happen to a pitcher very often, especially when there were no plunkings of other shenanigans previously. Which, in this game or series, there was not. So what gives?

After the game MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian asked Derek Lowe about it and he gave a long, expletive-filled but ultimately not-very-forthcoming explanation, alluding to some years-old bad blood between Reds manager Dusty Baker and himself:

After the game, Lowe insinuated that Baker has been instructing his pitchers to throw at him for the past five seasons due to a grudge that dates to Lowe’s final year with the Dodgers in 2008.

“Dusty will deny it,” Lowe said. “I have zero respect for the guy — not that it matters. I imagine he’d say the same about me” … The 39-year-old Cleveland starter hinted at an incident that was never made public during his time in Los Angeles, but he was not willing to offer up specific details.

Baker was gone after all of the media at the game became aware of what Lowe said, so he had no response.  Hopefully we’ll learn more today, but Lowe repeated several times that Baker will, as he always has before, pretend that he doesn’t know what Lowe is talking about.  Lowe does, though, but he’s not saying.

This is delicious. In fact, it’s more delicious that we don’t know the reason for the bad blood.  Was it a woman? I bet it was a woman. It’s a crazy love triangle, with Lowe in the Gatsby role and Dusty as Tom Buchanan. Marty Brennaman as Nick Carroway. I haven’t figured out the women yet. Hopefully Bastian or Reds MLB.com guy Mark Sheldon will ask Dusty about it today.

The Mets are strongarming Devin Mesoraco into retiring

Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mets told catcher Devin Mesoraco on Saturday that he will not make the team, Mike Puma of the New York Post reported. Mesoraco, a major league veteran of eight seasons, said he won’t accept a reassignment to Triple-A. According to Matt Ehalt of Yahoo Sports, the Mets will place Mesoraco on the restricted list rather than release him. As a result, Mesoraco is expected to retire from baseball.

This is a bad look for the Mets. Most teams release the major league-caliber players they don’t plan to break camp with so they can pursue opportunities elsewhere. The Mets must really be hurting for catching depth.

Mesoraco, 30, was decent as the Mets’ back-up last season after coming over from the Reds in the Matt Harvey deal, batting .222/.306/.409 with 10 home runs and 30 RBI in 229 plate appearances. Mesoraco is a bit below-average defensively and spent much of the mid-2010’s on the disabled list dealing with hip and shoulder injuries.

On Monday afternoon, the Mets signed free agent catcher René Rivera, per SNY’s Andy Martino. Rivera was recently released by the Giants. He is less potent with the bat than Mesoraco, but a bit better defensively. Rivera will back up Wilson Ramos and Travis d'Arnaud will likely open the season on the injured list. Tomás Nido will be the third-string catcher behind Rivera.