Bobby Valentine rips the umps after yesterday’s loss

49 Comments

The Red Sox got swept by the Nats over the weekend, which likely put Bobby Valentine in a bad mood. Making it worse: the umpiring. And Valentine used yesterday’s postgame presser to rip the men in blue.

He was particularly mad at what he — and everyone who watched it, PitchFx included — thought should have been strike three to Roger Bernadina, just prior to his hitting the game-winning double that scored Bryce Harper in the ninth. Here’s Valentine after the game:

“Alfredo struck the guy out on a pitch that the whole ball is on the plate, and [Umpire Al Porter] calls it a ball.”
Valentine got more angry in the bottom of the ninth when the 1-1 pitch to Dustin Pedroia was called a strike when it was clearly outside.  That got Valentine out of the dugout and a one-way ticket to ejectionville.  But it wasn’t just those two pitches that had him fuming:

“Good umpires had a real bad series . . . a real bad series,” said a grim, tight-lipped Valentine — attempting unsuccessfully to hide his anger — in his postgame press conference. “It went one way (for the Nationals and against the Red Sox). There should be a review … The game is simple: Throw it over the plate, call it a strike. Don’t throw it over the plate, call it a ball.” said Valentine. “It’s simple. That’s all. That’s all anybody asks. I know it’s been going on for 100 years. I’m not the first one to say it. But this was a pretty lousy series … You’ve got guys busting their butts, battling their butts off, and it’s not right.”

Now, if I had to guess, Valentine will get a one-way ticket to fineville. Or perhaps it’s a roundtrip ticket. And it’s possible he could use Rewards points to purchase it. It’s all so complicated these days.

Reds top prospect Nick Senzel to undergo season-ending surgery

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Reds no. 1 prospect Nick Senzel is scheduled to undergo season-ending surgery on Tuesday, the club announced Saturday. Senzel tore a tendon in his right index finger on Friday and is not expected to make a full recovery before the 2018 season comes to a close, though any offseason activity has not yet been ruled out.

Prior to the start of the season, MLB Pipeline ranked the 22-year-old infielder first in the Reds’ system and sixth in the league overall. He made a fine impression in his debut with Triple-A Louisville, too, slashing .310/378/.509 with six home runs and eight stolen bases in 193 plate appearances. A call-up seemed inevitable at some point in 2018, though the Reds will now have to shelve any immediate plans for the third baseman as he works through a lengthy recovery process in order to take the field sometime in 2019.

Impressive numbers notwithstanding, it’s been a rough year for Senzel. He missed nearly a month after another chronic bout of vertigo and logged just 21 games in Louisville before landing on the disabled list again. This appears to be the first significant injury of his professional career so far.