Sergio Santos has suffered yet another setback in his recovery from a shoulder injury that was initially said to be minor, as the Blue Jays closer canceled a scheduled Saturday bullpen session due to soreness.
Santos has been out since April 21 and it’s been about six weeks since he guessed he was about two weeks from coming off the DL, which is perhaps why he’s “closer Sergio Santos” rather than “doctor Sergio Santos.”
For whatever it’s worth manager John Farrell described the recent soreness as “normal for a guy ramping back up.” Of course, Santos would have already resumed closing for Blue Jays if not for multiple setbacks and that’s not quite normal for an injury listed as shoulder inflammation.
Acquired from the White Sox for prospect Nester Molina this offseason, Santos appeared in just six games before being shut down and the Blue Jays turned first to Francisco Cordero and then to Casey Janssen as his ninth-inning replacement.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.