It shocked many when the Astros decided to go with shortstop Carlos Correa over Stanford right-hander Mark Appel with the first pick in the MLB draft. As many speculated, Appel’s bonus demands may well have made the choice for them.
A source told Tom Krasovic that Appel, who is being advised by Scott Boras, turned down a $6 million offer from the Astros before the draft.
The Astros had a total draft budget of approximately $11.2 million, so they could have gone higher to sign Appel, but they clearly were hoping to save some money for other picks. Drafting Correa instead will likely allow them to do so.
As for Appel, he’s going to have problems now. The Pirates’ total draft budget is just under $6.6 million, so unless they’re willing to risk losing future draft picks, they’re not going to be able to give him even the $6 million the Astros were proposing.
Baltimore Orioles CEO John Angelos and his brother Lou have agreed to end their fight over a lawsuit in which Lou accused John of seizing control of the team in defiance of their father Peter’s wishes.
Lou Angelos sued John last year, claiming John took control of the Orioles at his expense. Georgia Angelos, their mother, also was named as a defendant.
In a Friday court filing in the case, John, Lou, Georgia and Peter Angelos called on “all claims, including all counterclaims and defenses, asserted therein be dismissed with prejudice in their entirety.”
“The Parties also withdraw and terminate all pending motions submitted in these actions,” the filing said.
Peter Angelos became the Orioles’ owner in 1993, but his public role has diminished in recent years and he turned 93 last year. According to the suit, he had surgery after his aortic valve failed in 2017.
Lou Angelos accused John of trying to take control of Peter Angelos’ assets and manipulating Georgia Angelos. The lawsuit was one of a handful of off-field issues looming over the Orioles this offseason. The team also has a lease at Camden Yards that expires at the end of the year.