Jonathan Niese left Sunday’s start with a rapid heartbeat. Yesterday he told reporters that he’d have the ablation procedure to correct it at the All-Star break. Today, however, the Mets announced that it will go down in the offseason.
Given that the doctors were likely weighing the danger of the heartbeat thing against the disruption the ablation procedure would cause for his season and came out in favor of pushing the procedure off suggests that, no, the heartbeat thing is not a major concern.
Phillies outfielder Andrew McCutchen would have opened the regular season on the injured list if it had started on time. Now, with the start of the season pushed back at least a few months due to coronavirus (COVID-19), the veteran five-time All-Star says he will be “ready to go” whenever the season begins, he told NBC Sports Philadelphia.
McCutchen, 33, tore his ACL in early June, ending his 2019 campaign. To that point, he had been quite productive for the Phillies, batting .256/.378/.457 with 10 home runs and 29 RBI over 262 plate appearances. If and when the 2020 season does begin, he will likely reprise his role as the leadoff hitter, this time under new manager Joe Girardi.
2020 marks the second year of McCutchen’s three-year, $50 million contract initially signed with the Phillies in December 2018. The Phillies also hold a $15 million club option for the 2022 season with a $3 million buyout.