Juan Carlos Oviedo close to getting work visa, must still serve eight-week suspension

12 Comments

El Caribe in the Dominican Republic reports that Juan Carlos Oviedo has finally received his work visa and the Marlins reliever formerly known as Leo Nunez will soon make his way to the United States nearly six months after being charged with identity fraud.

However, don’t expect to see him in the Marlins’ bullpen any time soon. Once he arrives Oviedo will begin serving an eight-week suspension and continue losing out on his $6 million salary.

Oviedo was the Marlins’ closer for the past three seasons, saving 92 games before the team pushed him out of the ninth-inning role and signed Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million deal. If healthy and effective Oviedo could emerge as a setup man for Bell, but he’s two months from even being on the Marlins’ radar and hasn’t faced big-league hitters since September 21.

UPDATE: Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes has a slightly different report, saying that Oviedo has received a pardon from the U.S. State Department that is necessary before getting a visa but has not gotten the actual visa yet.

Scooter Gennett to undergo MRI after injury

Scooter Gennett
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.

Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.

The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.

Update, 3/23: Gennett has been diagnosed with a right groin strain and will miss 8-12 weeks in recovery, the Reds said Saturday. Per The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans, José Peraza and José Iglesias will cover second base and shortstop, respectively, with Kyle Farmer staying on as a backup option. Senzel will remain in Triple-A and continue his development as a center fielder.