Ike Davis has struggled all season, hitting just .163 after missing most of last year with an ankle injury, but manager Terry Collins repeatedly made it very clear that the Mets had no intention of demoting the first baseman to the minors.
And then yesterday Collins’ tune changed a bit, according to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger.
When asked about Davis’ status, Collins replied: “There is nothing etched in stone. We will never say something’s not going to happen.”
Jason Bay is due back from the disabled list fairly soon and Collins has already said he’ll resume starting in left field, which could push Kirk Nieuwenhuis to right field and potentially move Lucas Duda to first base. Which would also mean Davis going to the bench or Triple-A at age 25.
Before being shut down last season Davis played 36 games and hit .302 with seven homers, eight doubles, and a .925 OPS. He’s played 38 games so far this season, hitting .163 with five homers, four doubles, and a .524 OPS. So much of the power is still there, but Davis is having very poor luck getting singles to drop and he’s also struggling to control the strike zone with a 39/10 K/BB ratio.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.