Torii Hunter, who was placed on the restricted list after learning that his 17-year-old son had been arrested on sexual assault charges, doesn’t plan to rejoin the Angels until things are settled with the case.
That’s according to his son’s attorney, Todd Shapiro, who told Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times that Hunter will remain home until “this matter is resolved or under control.”
Shapiro is optimistic about a quick resolution to the case. He said that the girl allegedly assaulted has recanted her accusation in a phone call that was unknowingly taped by a Hunter family friend. Being that the charges and the call happened in Texas, the call could be recorded without her permission.
17-year-old Darius McClinton-Hunter is currently free on bond following his arrest Monday. Shapiro has maintained that his client is innocent of the accusations.
The Diamondbacks selected the contract of pitcher Clay Buchholz from Triple-A Reno ahead of Sunday’s game against the Mets. It marked Buchholz’s first major league start since April 11 last season (also against the Mets) when he was a member of the Phillies. Shortly after that start, he was diagnosed with a partial tear of his flexor pronator mass and he ended up not being able to pitch the rest of the season.
Buchholz signed a minor league deal with the Royals but he opted out of his contract at the beginning of this month. The Diamondbacks signed him to a minor league deal a few days later, needing depth with a depleted starting rotation. Buchholz made two starts for Reno before getting the call Sunday.
Buchholz, 33, pitched well on Sunday against the Mets, lasting five innings and limiting the opposition to a run on two hits and a walk with two strikeouts. His only blemish was allowing a solo home run to Amed Rosario leading off the sixth. He was immediately relieved by T.J. McFarland afterwards.
It is not yet clear if Buchholz will get another turn through the D-Backs’ rotation.