Aroldis Chapman is gonna be a setup man forever, I guess

29 Comments

Danny Knobler has a column up today asking a question a lot of Reds fans have probably been asking themselves for some time: why in the heck is Aroldis Chapman still the Reds’ setup guy?

He hasn’t allowed a run all year. He has retired 22 of his last 24 hitters. He has a K/BB ratio of 34/5 in 19 and a third innings.  He’s simply dominant. And, given that he was a starter in Cuba and a starter in the Reds minor league system before being put in the pen last year, he should probably be given a chance to start, yes?  No, say the Reds. At least not yet:

“On our team right now, he should stay in the bullpen,” second baseman Brandon Phillips said. “We need someone in the bullpen like him” … [General Manager Walt] Jocketty doesn’t rule out Chapman in the rotation at some point this year, but he also said, “We may become resigned to the fact that he may spend this year in the bullpen.”

Walt: you run the team. How do you become “resigned” to this?  Dusty Baker is in the last year of his contract and you’re his boss.  There’s no way to force that issue here?

Yes, he’s an amazing relief pitcher. But Roy Halladay would be an amazing relief pitcher if you turned him into a setup man. As would every other good starter in baseball. Given that a starter pitches three times as many innings in a season as a setup man, you shouldn’t leave a guy like Chapman in the pen unless and until he shows you he can’t start.

And he can’t show you that until you give him a chance to try.

Steven Wright undergoes procedures on left knee

Greg Fiume/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Red Sox announced that starter Steven Wright underwent a left knee arthroscopy and debridement on Monday in New York. There is no timetable yet for his recovery, so it is still not known if he will be ready for spring training.

Wright, 34, was bothered by left knee issues throughout the 2018 season. He made four starts and 16 relief appearances totaling 53 2/3 innings, posting a 2.68 ERA with 42 strikeouts and 26 walks. Wright was on the ALDS roster but was removed due to the knee issue and did not appear in the postseason.

Wright is entering his second of three years of arbitration eligibility. He is due a raise on his $1.1 million salary. The Red Sox could non-tender him, but that seems unlikely.