He’s back: Andy Pettitte to start for Yankees on Sunday

4 Comments

Andy Pettitte hasn’t exactly been blowing away minor-league hitters, but the 39-year-old left-hander said over the weekend he was ready to return to the big leagues, and apparently the Yankees agree.

General manager Brian Cashman just announced that Pettitte will be called up to start Sunday against the Mariners, which will be his first major league action since the 2010 playoffs.

Seattle ranks 12th or worse among AL teams in batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS, so it’s a nice welcome back matchup for Pettitte.

In four starts in the minors, he threw 17 innings with a 3.71 ERA and 13/2 K/BB ratio while opponents hit .284. And in his final tune-up, Pettitte allowed five runs on eight hits in five innings at Triple-A. None of which will stop the Yankee Stadium crowd from going nuts when he takes the mound Sunday afternoon.

His last start versus the Mariners? July 8, 2010. Pettitte threw eight innings of one-run ball with Jorge Posada as his catcher and Mariano Rivera closed out the victory.

Scooter Gennett to undergo MRI after injury

Scooter Gennett
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.

Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.

The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.