Jeremy Guthrie was originally scheduled to start tonight against the Mets, but he’s now headed to the 15-day disabled list after spraining his right shoulder in a freak bicycle accident yesterday.
Guthrie, an avid cyclist, told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that the injury occurred when the chain on his bicycle broke and sent him slamming down into the ground.
“It was a kind of a freak accident. Most of the contact was on my elbow and it kind of jammed my shoulder. I just have some pain, and when that goes away. I would assume yes I will be healthy in 15 days,” Guthrie said after Friday’s game. “It wasn’t like wheel slipped out. I was just riding and the next thing I know I was on the ground.”
Guthrie will be eligible to return from the disabled list as soon as May 8, so he may only miss a couple turns in the rotation. Guillermo Moscoso will be called up from Triple-A Colorado Springs to start in his place tonight against the Mets.
Guthrie, who was acquired from the Orioles in early February for right-handers Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom, has a 5.92 ERA and 5/10 K/BB ratio across 24 1/3 innings in his first four starts this season.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.