Postgame drama in Boston: Bobby V part of closed-door meeting, players refuse to talk

99 Comments

The home clubhouse at Fenway Park was not the most relaxing of places Saturday evening after the Red Sox blew a 9-0 lead to the Yankees in an eventual 15-9 loss, falling to 4-10 on the year.

“I think we’ve hit bottom,” first-year Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said in his postgame chat. “That’s what I told them after the game. You have to sometimes hit bottom. If this isn’t bottom, then we’ll find some new ends to the earth or something.”

And then came these tweets from beat writers Evan Drellich (of MLB.com), Gordon Edes (of ESPN Boston) and Sean McAdam (of CSNNewEngland.com’s RedSoxTalk):

Valentine will survive Saturday’s collapse, but the Red Sox are in the midst of a five-game losing streak and are struggling in quite a few crucial areas. It’s safe to wonder what will happen if things get any worse.

Report: Astros, Michael Brantley agree to two-year, $32 million contract

Jason Miller/Getty Images
8 Comments

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros and outfielder Michael Brantley are closing in on an agreement for a two-year contract in the $32 million range.

Brantley, 31, played a mostly full season last year for the first time since 2015. He hit .309/.364/.468 with 17 home runs, 76 RBI, 89 runs scored, and 12 stolen bases in 631 plate appearances. He made the AL All-Star squad for the third time in his career.

Brantley’s health, though, is why he had to settle for a two-year deal as opposed to a longer contract for a player of his caliber. He will take over in left field. In the event Brantley succumbs to injury woes, the Astros have top prospect Kyle Tucker waiting in the wings.

Update: According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, who also reports that the deal is in place, the Astros plan to rotate Brantley between left field, first base, and DH. That opens up some more playing time for Tucker.