Carl Crawford expected to begin taking at-bats in extended spring games this Tuesday

9 Comments

Via Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal:

Carl Crawford will fly back to Fort Myers, Fla., on Monday and “more than likely” will play in his first extended-spring-training game on Tuesday, Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said.

Crawford has been on the 15-day disabled list since the start of the regular season due to lingering inflammation in his surgically-repaired left wrist.

He experienced a setback recently in the form of left elbow soreness, but it was only a minor issue and he was able to take batting practice Saturday in an indoor cage while the Red Sox hosted the Rays outside.

“He’s taken a lot of batting practice,” Valentine said Sunday morning. “He might have even been part of the inspiration for our play yesterday. He was taking it during the game in the cage. The sound was so loud that I think it inspired some of our guys to hit the ball hard. He was really making a loud noise in that batting cage.”

Crawford, who posted a disappointing .255/.289/.405 slash line in 2011, is expected to be ready in early May.

Yankees halt Giancarlo Stanton’s rehab due to calf tightness

Sarah Stier/Getty Images
Leave a comment

There was some thought that Yankees outfielder Giancarlo Stanton would soon be activated from the injured list. Stanton has been out since the beginning of April due to biceps and shoulder injuries. It will be a little while longer.

The Yankees announced on Wednesday that Stanton’s rehab has been halted due to tightness in his left calf. Stanton was scratched from Tuesday’s rehab game with High-A Tampa due to tightness around his left calf and knee, so this news didn’t pop up out of nowhere.

Stanton recorded a pair of singles and seven walks in 15 trips to the plate in the only three games he played this season, all against the Orioles. Durability has always been a concern for the 29-year-old, but he managed to play in 159 games for the Marlins in 2017 and 158 for the Yankees last year. He’s in the fifth year of a 13-year, $325 million contract originally signed with the Marlins.