I can only assume Ozzie Guillen recommended him before leaving for Miami.
The White Sox on Tuesday acquired infielder Jose Castro from the Reds for a player to be named and assigned him to Triple-A Charlotte.
Castro, a 25-year-old second baseman and shortstop, hit .306/.343/.354 with no homers and no steals in 291 at-bats between Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville last year. The White Sox are currently going with a light-hitting 23-year-old in Eduardo Escobar as their utilityman and needed some extra infield depth. Castro fits the bill, but it’s doubtful he’ll have a significant major league career.
When Kenley Jansen experienced an irregular heartbeat last week some speculated that he could miss a month. That won’t be the case if he has his way. He said yesterday that he expects to be back next week, assuming he suffers no side effects from his medication between now and then.
Jansen threw a successful bullpen session on Monday, did conditioning work yesterday, and is planning to throw to hitters today. He’ll then travel with the Dodgers to Seattle and face hitters again on Friday at which a point a decision will be made about activating him. Given that the Dodgers are struggling, particularly with the bullpen, that decision is likely to be affirmative unless there is any reason to be concerned with Jansen’s health between now and then. He’s currently on blood-thinners and says he’s responding well.
All of that said, Jansen told reporters yesterday that there’s a good chance he will need a heart procedure in the offseason, the sort of which he had after his last occurrence of an irregular heartbeat back in 2012.
Jansen’s 32 saves ties him for the NL lead with Wade Davis of the Rockies.