As far as the calendar goes we are now halfway through Opening Day. Only two more days of it left! And there are day baseball games today. More than one! And in this country! The rundown:
- Boston at Detroit 1:00 PM: Lester vs Verlander
- Atlanta at NY Mets 1:10 PM: Hanson vs Santana
- Philadelphia at Pittsburgh 1:35 PM: Halladay vs Bedard
- Washington at Chicago Cubs 2:20 PM: Strasburg vs Dempster
- Toronto at Cleveland 3:05 PM: Romero vs Masterson
- Miami at Cincinnati 4:00 PM: Buehrle vs Cueto
- LA Dodgers at San Diego 7:05 PM: Kershaw vs Volquez
Lester vs. Verlander seems like fun, though I will obviously be watching the Braves-Mets game. Also interested in seeing Strasburg pitch. even after all this time he still seems exciting, no?
Anyway, strap in. Baseball in real volume is finally here.
Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo suffered what appeared to be an awful injury during Sunday’s game against the Pirates, twisting his ankle while attempting to field a bunt. An MRI revealed that he has a lateral sprain of his right ankle, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports. Rizzo will wear a walking boot for five to seven days before being reevaluated.
Given that there are only two weeks left in the regular season, it seems doubtful Rizzo would be able to return to aid the Cubs’ NL Wild Card chase. The club entered Monday leading the second Wild Card by a game over the Brewers.
Rizzo, 30, is batting .289/.404/.516 with 26 home runs, 93 RBI, and 88 runs scored in 592 plate appearances on the year. Victor Caratini started at first base for Monday’s game against the Reds. The Cubs may also use Ian Happ, Willson Contreras, and Jonathan Lucroy at first base while Rizzo is out.