Red Sox expect Carl Crawford to miss all of April

20 Comments

Most of the updates about Carl Crawford’s recovery from wrist surgery have involved setbacks or delays this spring, and now Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe writes: “Don’t expect Crawford to join the Red Sox before May.”

That’s not an official timetable, at least not yet, but according to Abraham he’s yet to take batting practice and will stay behind in extended spring training once the season begins.

Bobby Valentine has said previously that Crawford will need “50 at-bats somewhere” before potentially being cleared to rejoin the Red Sox, which means he’ll be several weeks away from returning after he resumes game action. And he’s not close to that yet.

Initially when Crawford underwent surgery in January the hope was that he’d miss just 2-3 weeks of the regular season, but at this point even early May seems optimistic. Ryan Sweeney and Cody Ross will be Boston’s starting corner outfielders for at least a month.

Scooter Gennett to undergo MRI after injury

Scooter Gennett
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.

Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.

The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.