George Brett: if steroid users get elected to the Hall of Fame, current inductees will boycott

70 Comments

George Brett was interviewed by Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic and the topic of PED users and the Hall of Fame came up. Brett says that if he were a voter, he would not put guys like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens on his ballot.  Which, fine, there are a lot of people who think that way.  But Brett went further:

“I wasn’t a home-run hitter,” Brett said, “but I know from talking to guys in the 500-home run club, guys like Schmitty (Mike Schmidt) and some other guys like that, if those guys make it in then they’ll never go back.”

Meaning?

“Meaning those guys will never go back and attend (the Hall of Fame inductions) if the cheaters get elected.”

Really? Mike Schmidt would boytcott? The same Mike Schmidt who said that if A-Rod — who Brett specifically criticized by name — were to be elected, he’d “welcome him”?  The same Schmidt who is on record saying that if PEDs were prevalent during his time he probably would have used them too? He’d boycott?  Color me skeptical.

Also color me skeptical about this statement from Brett:

Brett doesn’t believe Alex Rodriguez, who was caught using steroids, should get into the Hall of Fame, either. Maybe if A-Rod would have come clean in the beginning, or tried to make amends like pitcher Andy Pettitte and slugger Jason Giambi did, Brett could see it.

Someone please explain to me how Pettitte or Giambi came clean in ways that Alex Rodriguez didn’t. Because my recollection of it all was that all three of them admitted to doing something only after they were caught. The biggest difference from what I can tell is that A-Rod was not very well-liked beforehand while Pettitte and Giambi were.

Anyway, the same old story here: subjective baloney about PEDs with some people being treated very differently for reasons that make little sense.

Pirates activate Starling Marte

AP Images
Leave a comment

Pirates outfielder Starling Marte is back in the lineup after the team reinstated him from the 10-day disabled list on Saturday. Marte served the bare minimum on the DL after making a rapid recovery from the right oblique strain that sidelined him several weeks ago.

Prior to landing on the disabled list, the 29-year-old outfielder was off to a strong start. He slashed a robust .308/.366/.503 with six home runs, 10 stolen bases and an .869 OPS in 175 plate appearances with the team. This is the first time he’s dealt with an oblique issue, and the first DL stint he’s served since he suffered a bout of back tightness in 2016. While he has yet to prove he can bounce back to his pre-injury production levels, his quick recovery bodes well for a successful return to major-league play.

In a corresponding move, outfielder Jose Osuna was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The move came as somewhat of a surprise, given that the Pirates elected to retain top prospect outfielder Austin Meadows rather than the more established Osuna. Meadows was recalled from Triple-A in the wake of Marte’s injury and has only played seven games at the major league level so far, but he’s already made a strong impression: he went 13-for-29 with three home runs, two stolen bases and five RBI since his call-up on May 18.