Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he doesn’t regret booting Angels scout Jeff Schugel from the stands Wednesday during a team practice. In fact, Bochy thinks it was completely justified:
“You want to go through a fundamental (drill) and I don’t think that’s the time for scouts to be there,” said Bochy. “They have a job to do. I understand that. … We wanted it cleared. We had a couple things we wanted to work on.”
Giants GM Brian Sabean attempted to defuse the matter on Wednesday afternoon, calling the situation “a misunderstanding” and assuring reporters that scouts from all teams are allowed inside the Giants’ facilities. He might want to have a private chat with his skipper to clear that up, since Bochy seems to be the only person involved with a different interpretation of the rules.
Reds no. 1 prospect Nick Senzel is scheduled to undergo season-ending surgery on Tuesday, the club announced Saturday. Senzel tore a tendon in his right index finger on Friday and is not expected to make a full recovery before the 2018 season comes to a close, though any offseason activity has not yet been ruled out.
Prior to the start of the season, MLB Pipeline ranked the 22-year-old infielder first in the Reds’ system and sixth in the league overall. He made a fine impression in his debut with Triple-A Louisville, too, slashing .310/378/.509 with six home runs and eight stolen bases in 193 plate appearances. A call-up seemed inevitable at some point in 2018, though the Reds will now have to shelve any immediate plans for the third baseman as he works through a lengthy recovery process in order to take the field sometime in 2019.
Impressive numbers notwithstanding, it’s been a rough year for Senzel. He missed nearly a month after another chronic bout of vertigo and logged just 21 games in Louisville before landing on the disabled list again. This appears to be the first significant injury of his professional career so far.