David Wright won’t make spring debut until at least next week

2 Comments

The Mets decided over the weekend to hold David Wright out of the first two games of the Grapefruit League schedule due to stiffness in the left side of his rib cage. He has downplayed the severity of the issue all along, but it’s clear that the Mets aren’t taking any chances.

According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Mets manager Terry Collins said this afternoon that Wright will not make his spring debut until at least next week. The 29-year-old third baseman worked out in the weight room today and no longer feels discomfort, but the Mets simply don’t want to risk the possibility of a setback and a longer shutdown.

“He felt great,” Collins said. “We’ll see when they’ll let him go back on the field. But he said there’s no pain at all, no discomfort at all. So, again, those are all great signs. And he admitted, he told me today, ‘I think it was really a good move that we slowed this down.”

Wright appeared in just 102 games last season due to a stress fracture in his lower back, batting .254/.345/.427 with 14 home runs, 61 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .771 OPS.

Nick Senzel to miss a few weeks due to ankle injury

Rob Tringali/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Reds prospect Nick Senzel will miss at least the next few weeks due to a sprained right ankle, Bobby Nightengale of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports. Senzel suffered the injury in a minor league game on Monday, sliding into second base.

Last week, the Reds reassigned Senzel to minor league camp. His agent, Joel Wolfe, called it an “egregious case of service time manipulation.” The matter has been cleanly resolved with the injury, not unlike Vladimir Guerrero, Jr.

Senzel, 23, is the Reds’ No. 1 prospect, according to MLB Pipeline. He was getting work in center field this spring after playing second and third base last year (and even a game at shortstop) in the minors. With Triple-A Louisville, Senzel hit .310/.378/.509 with six home runs and 25 RBI in 193 plate appearances.