Conflicting reports on the Athletics-San Jose thing

12 Comments

It has been three years since Major League Baseball set up a committee to look into whether the A’s can move to San Jose. So you’d figure there would be some resolution on the matter now.  Guess what? Nope!

Two conflicting reports over the weekend. First from Bill Madden of the New York Daily News:

Unfortunately, the “Moneyball” film came up empty with the Academy Award voters, and the same fate beckons for Beane and Oakland A’s owners Lew Wolff and John Fisher in their determined effort to move to a new stadium in Hi-Tech haven. The latter prospect, in which, for a variety of reasons, MLB is going to uphold the San Francisco Giants’ territorial rights in San Jose …

Then comes Hank Schulman’s report in the San Francisco Chronicle:

I’ve just been told by someone in the commissioner’s office that contrary to what a New York newspaper suggested yesterday, the A’s proposed move to San Jose is not on life support. And, it is not true that Commissioner Bud Selig and baseball owners have all but decided to uphold the Giants’ territorial rights to San Jose, which would preclude the A’s from going there.

Who knows? Madden’s report was casual to the point of catatonic, passing along that little nugget in the course of yet another lame “Moneyball” analogy. If it was news — Extra! MLB to slam the A’s! — you’d think it would warrant its own story or at least its own sentence. This smells like scuttlebutt that couldn’t be confirmed and is now being passed along as gossipy conventional wisdom.

That said, the reasoning in Madden’s story — Selig doesn’t have the support of the other owners to approve the San Jose move — makes a lot of sense, so it’s possible that that’s where things will eventually go.

But the key takeaway here is this: IT HAS TAKEN THREE YEARS TO DECIDE THIS.

Orioles CEO, brother agree to dismiss legal dispute

Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

Baltimore Orioles CEO John Angelos and his brother Lou have agreed to end their fight over a lawsuit in which Lou accused John of seizing control of the team in defiance of their father Peter’s wishes.

Lou Angelos sued John last year, claiming John took control of the Orioles at his expense. Georgia Angelos, their mother, also was named as a defendant.

In a Friday court filing in the case, John, Lou, Georgia and Peter Angelos called on “all claims, including all counterclaims and defenses, asserted therein be dismissed with prejudice in their entirety.”

“The Parties also withdraw and terminate all pending motions submitted in these actions,” the filing said.

Peter Angelos became the Orioles’ owner in 1993, but his public role has diminished in recent years and he turned 93 last year. According to the suit, he had surgery after his aortic valve failed in 2017.

Lou Angelos accused John of trying to take control of Peter Angelos’ assets and manipulating Georgia Angelos. The lawsuit was one of a handful of off-field issues looming over the Orioles this offseason. The team also has a lease at Camden Yards that expires at the end of the year.