Scott Hairston aggravates oblique muscle during intrasquad game

1 Comment

Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com reports that Scott Hairston was pulled from an intrasquad game today due to a strained left oblique. This is the very same injury which ended his season last August.

“Same as last year, pretty much,” Hairston said about the current issue. “I felt it on the swing out there. I felt it grab. And once I felt it grab, I figured it wouldn’t be a good idea to take another swing. … I wouldn’t think it’s as serious as it was last year. I think right now, the way I feel, it’s one of those things where I know it’s injured, but it’s not severe.”

Hairston is expected to receive a cortisone shot on Monday, but Mets’ manager Terry Collins said he is naturally “concerned” given that the injury kept him on the shelf for the final five weeks of the 2011 season. Non-roster invitee Adam Loewen is now expected to get more playing time in center field as a potential backup for Andres Torres. Vinny Rottino, who previously appeared in the big leagues with the Brewers and Marlins, could also be in the mix as a right-handed bat off the bench.

Hairston, 31, batted .235/.303/.470 with seven home runs, 24 RBI and a .773 OPS over 145 plate appearances as a reserve outfielder last season. He was brought back this winter on a one-year, $1.1 million contract.

No lease extension, but Orioles and governor tout partnership

orioles camden yards
Daniel Shirey/Getty Images
0 Comments

The Baltimore Orioles and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore announced a joint commitment to what they called a “multi-decade, public-private partnership” to revitalize the Camden Yards sports complex.

The statement from the team and the state’s new governor came Wednesday, the deadline for the Orioles to exercise a one-time, five-year extension to their lease at Camden Yards. The team was not planning to exercise that option, according to a person with knowledge of the decision. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the club hadn’t announced its decision.

With no extension, the lease is set to expire at the end of this year, but the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority can keep negotiating. Wednesday’s joint release seemed to be an attempt to calm any nerves in Baltimore about the team’s future.

“I am looking forward to continuing to collaborate with Governor Moore, his administration, and the Maryland Stadium Authority in order to bring to Baltimore the modern, sustainable, and electrifying sports and entertainment destination the state of Maryland deserves,” Orioles CEO John Angelos said.

“We greatly appreciate Governor Moore’s vision and commitment as we seize the tremendous opportunity to redefine the paradigm of what a Major League Baseball venue represents and thereby revitalize downtown Baltimore. It is my hope and expectation that, together with Governor Moore and the new members and new chairman of the MSA board, we can again fully realize the potential of Camden Yards to serve as a catalyst for Baltimore’s second renaissance.”

Republican Larry Hogan, the state’s previous governor, signed a bill last year increasing bond authorization for M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, and Camden Yards. The measure allowed borrowing of up to $600 million for each stadium.

“When Camden Yards opened 30 years ago, the Baltimore Orioles revolutionized baseball and set the bar for the fan experience,” Moore, a Democrat, said Wednesday. “We share the commitment of the Orioles organization to ensuring that the team is playing in a world-class facility at Camden Yards for decades to come and are excited to advance our public-private partnership.”

Angelos recently reaffirmed that the Orioles would stay in Baltimore, although he dressed down a reporter who asked for more clarity on the future of the team’s ownership situation. Angelos was sued last year by his brother Lou, who claimed John Angelos seized control of the Orioles at his expense.