Carl Crawford was shut down and put on anti-inflammatory medication yesterday after suffering a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist. The high-priced outfielder told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald this morning that the setback was likely the result of pushing himself too soon, especially after participating in bunting drills.
“Bunting didn’t help it,” he said. “Pretty sure just what I’ve been doing over the course of the week, bunting and swinging and throwing and just doing all the activities probably didn’t make it no better. The bunting, that was the final thing that probably took it over the edge.”
Crawford took one-handed swings in the batting cage this morning and hopes to resume two-handed swings “pretty soon,” possibly within the next couple of days.
Crawford still hopes to be ready for Opening Day, but the expectation following surgery was that he would miss at least the first few weeks of the season. This setback, however minor, renders his goal even more unrealistic. Offseason acquisitions Ryan Sweeney and Cody Ross project to start in the corner outfield spots until he is ready to return.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.