Ike Davis’ sophomore season was ruined by a ankle injury and multiple setbacks, but the Mets first baseman said yesterday that he’s now “good to go” and has “been fine for a while now.”
Davis opted for rest and rehab rather than microfracture surgery, telling Dan Martin of the New York Post: “It’s great to know I’m training for a season rather than training to see if I can get back on the field or have to have surgery.”
Davis reported to Mets camp in Florida yesterday and said he plans to take things slow initially, but barring more setbacks it certainly sounds like he’ll be ready for Opening Day after missing 126 games last season following an excellent start.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.