UPDATE: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is hearing that the Marlins offered Cespedes less than the $40 million sum being reported by Reynoso.
3:15 PM: Marlins’ president David Samson told Jayson Stark of ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the club was considering making an offer to Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes during their meeting in Miami this week and apparently that’s exactly what happened.
Eric Reynoso of Cafe Fuerte (link in Spanish) was told by a source “close to the negotiations” that the Marlins have offered Cespedes a six-year deal worth $40 million. This contract would surpass the $30.25 million deal Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman signed with the Reds in January of 2010.
Cespedes, 26, only met with the Marlins before returning to the Dominican Republic on Thursday night and Reynoso was told that he has no immediate plans to meet with other major league clubs. The Cubs, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles are among some of the other teams who have expressed strong interest. Cespedes is allowed to negotiate with MLB teams, but he can’t officially sign a contract until he is unblocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
(Hat-tip to MLB Trade Rumors for the link)
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Reliever Colin Poche went to salary arbitration with the Tampa Bay Rays on Tuesday with the sides just $125,000 apart.
The gap between the $1.3 million the pitcher asked for and the $1,175,000 the team offered was the smallest among the 33 players who exchanged proposed arbitration figures last month. The case was heard by John Woods, Jeanne Vonhof and Walt De Treux, who will hold their decision until later this month.
A 29-year-old left-hander, Poche had Tommy John surgery on July 29, 2020, and returned to the major leagues last April 22 after six appearances at Triple-A Durham. Poche was 4-2 with a 3.99 ERA and seven saves in 65 relief appearances for the Rays. He struck out 64 and walked 22 in 58 2/3 innings.
Poche had a $707,800 salary last year.
Tampa Bay went to arbitration on Monday with reliever Ryan Thompson, whose decision also is being held until later this month. He asked for $1.2 million and the Rays argued for $1 million.
Rays right-hander Jason Adam and outfielder Harold Ramirez remain scheduled for hearings.
Players and teams have split four decisions thus far. All-Star pitcher Max Fried ($13.5 million) lost to Atlanta and reliever Diego Castillo ($2.95 million) was defeated by Seattle, while pitcher Jesus Luzardo ($2.45 million) and AL batting champion Luis Arraez ($6.1 million) both beat the Marlins.
A decision also is pending for Los Angeles Angels outfielder Hunter Renfroe.
Eighteen additional players are eligible for arbitration and hearings are scheduled through Feb. 17. Among the eligible players is Seattle utilityman Dylan Moore, who has a pending three-year contract worth $8,875,000.