Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said yesterday that he hadn’t talked to Roy Oswalt’s agents in a week, but a short time later Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reported that the two sides were “still in talks.”
Jocketty apparently read that and various other rumors linking the Reds to Oswalt, and he’s fed up with the whole thing. Here’s what he told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
It’s all rumors. I’m sick and tired of it. We’ve had no serious talks. We’ve had no contact with the player.
You may recall that earlier this offseason Jocketty said the Reds’ lack of significant moves were “very frustrating” only to pull off a big trade with the Padres for Mat Latos and another sizable deal with the Cubs for Sean Marshall.
And for whatever reason no teams seem willing to admit that they’re negotiating with Oswalt. Except for maybe the Pirates, and he turned them down instantly.
Pirates outfielder Starling Marte is back in the lineup after the team reinstated him from the 10-day disabled list on Saturday. Marte served the bare minimum on the DL after making a rapid recovery from the right oblique strain that sidelined him several weeks ago.
Prior to landing on the disabled list, the 29-year-old outfielder was off to a strong start. He slashed a robust .308/.366/.503 with six home runs, 10 stolen bases and an .869 OPS in 175 plate appearances with the team. This is the first time he’s dealt with an oblique issue, and the first DL stint he’s served since he suffered a bout of back tightness in 2016. While he has yet to prove he can bounce back to his pre-injury production levels, his quick recovery bodes well for a successful return to major-league play.
In a corresponding move, outfielder Jose Osuna was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The move came as somewhat of a surprise, given that the Pirates elected to retain top prospect outfielder Austin Meadows rather than the more established Osuna. Meadows was recalled from Triple-A in the wake of Marte’s injury and has only played seven games at the major league level so far, but he’s already made a strong impression: he went 13-for-29 with three home runs, two stolen bases and five RBI since his call-up on May 18.