Indians’ deal with Julio Lugo has “fallen apart”

8 Comments

Last week the Indians signed veteran infielder Julio Lugo to a minor-league contract, or so they thought.

Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that the deal has “fallen apart” and the Indians no longer expect to sign Lugo, who would have competed for a bench spot in spring training at age 36.

He would have been unlikely to make the team anyway, as Lugo saw very limited action in the majors with the Braves last season while hitting .136 and hit just .249 with a .581 OPS in 93 games for the Orioles in 2010.

Mostly it just seems weird that negotiations for a minor-league contract could break down, because there really isn’t a whole lot to negotiate other than maybe an invitation to spring training or an opt-out clause if he’s not in the majors by a certain date.

Or maybe someone in the Indians’ front office realized what was happening and said: “Wait, is this the same Julio Lugo? The 36-year-old one?”

UPDATE: Bastian follows up to say that Lugo passing a physical exam may have been the issue, which makes sense.

Padres to place Franchy Cordero on DL, activate Hunter Renfroe

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres will place outfielder Franchy Cordero on the 10-day disabled list and activate outfielder Hunter Renfroe from the DL on Monday.

Cordero, 23, has been slumping, batting .140 with four extra-base hits in 47 plate appearances dating back to May 11. The Padres noticed that the forearm issue has been affecting his swing in recent games. Manager Andy Green said, “It was something where he could swing a certain way to manage it. But swinging that way was not him.”

Renfroe, 26, has been out since mid-April due to inflammation in his right elbow. He hit .200/.281/.440 in 57 PA prior to landing on the disabled list. Renfroe played in 10 rehab games with Triple-A El Paso.