Yu Darvish’s father is not a fan of the posting system

30 Comments

After securing exclusive negotiating rights for Yu Darvish with a record $51,703,411 posting fee last month, the Rangers signed the 25-year-old right-hander to a six-year contract this week which guarantees him $56 million.

While everyone appears to be pleased with the outcome, Yu’s father, Farsad Darvish, told Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com following the press conference last night that he’s against the current posting system.

“It was a long process, even the posting,” Farsad said. “I’m really against posting. You literally put people in auctions. He’s got no choice and it’s a 30-day deadline. It’s a lot of pressure on the representatives and the team. It’s up and down. I’m just happy this day has come. It’s nice to be here.”

And why wouldn’t he say that? Just think of the contract Darvish would have signed if he was on the open market this winter? He was only allowed to talk to one team, which gives him little-to-no leverage in negotiations, and the posting fee undoubtedly had an impact on how much the Rangers were willing to pay him.

Darvish wasn’t set to become an unrestricted free agent until after the 2014 season, so this is mostly a fantasy. But many are unsatisfied with how the current posting system works. Some have proposed changes that would allow the top three bidders to negotiate with a player or possibly tie part of the posting fee into the player’s contract. This is all speculation for now and it doesn’t sound like change is necessarily around the corner, but MLB officials plan to discuss ways to improve the current system as part of ongoing meetings of the new International Talent Committee.

Howie Kendrick to undergo an MRI after exiting game with a serious leg injury

Getty Images
1 Comment

Update, 7:49 PM ET: The Nationals placed Howie Kendrick on the 10-day disabled list with a right Achilles injury. In a corresponding move, right-hander Jefry Rodriguez was recalled from Double-A Potomac.

***

Nationals left fielder Howie Kendrick was removed from the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader against the Dodgers after injuring his right leg. In the eighth inning, Kendrick tracked a Max Muncy sac fly to the wall, but landed strangely on his right leg and fell to the ground. Unable to put weight on it, he was forced to exit the field on a cart and was sent to undergo an MRI soon afterward, the results of which have yet to be revealed.

While the Nationals have not specified the nature or severity of Kendrick’s injury, Martinez revealed that it’s located in the “lower part” of the outfielder’s leg and appears to be quite severe. He’ll likely be placed on the 10-day disabled list in the next couple of days, though the recovery process could take even longer.

Prior to the incident, Kendrick was off to a hot start this season. Entering Saturday’s doubleheader, he carried a batting line of .302/.331/.477 with 18 extra-base hits and an .808 OPS in 157 plate appearances. He went 1-for-3 on Saturday with a base hit in the seventh inning. Andrew Stevenson subbed in for Kendrick following the injury and has been tabbed to start in left field for the second game of the doubleheader at 8:05 PM ET.