Bartolo Colon has decided where he’s going to pitch in 2012

7 Comments

From USA Today’s Bob Nightengale comes word that veteran right-hander Bartolo Colon has “agreed to a deal with team,” but won’t divulge where exactly he’s headed until after he has passed a physical.

That physical should take place Sunday or Monday.

Jon Heyman of CBS says it’s not the Yankees, nor the Diamondbacks. The only other team Colon is known to have been in contact with is the A’s.

Colon, 39 in May, posted a respectable 4.00 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 135/40 K/BB ratio across 164 1/3 innings last season for New York. He should be able to effectively eat innings for another year or two.

Cardinals shut down Carlos Martínez for two weeks due to shoulder issue

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.

Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”

Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.