Luke Scott’s deal with Rays worth $6 million, with team option for 2013

7 Comments

Luke Scott and the Rays have finalized their one-year deal.

He’ll get $5 million in 2012 and the contract also includes a $6 million team option or $1 million buyout for 2013, which officially makes it a one-year, $6 million deal. There are also some undisclosed incentives built in that could raise the maximum value to $13 million for two years.

Shoulder problems that eventually required surgery limited him to just 64 ineffective games last season, but Scott hit .284 with 27 homers and a .902 OPS in 2010 and carries a very solid .843 career OPS.

He’s a good bounce-back candidate and if healthy would provide a much-needed boost to the middle of the Rays’ lineup, but $6 million in guaranteed money isn’t a particularly huge bargain for a 33-year-old first baseman/designated hitter who won’t be cleared to play the outfield until at least May or June.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
20 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.