Anaheim’s spending spree continues.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Angels have agreed to a four-year contract extension with second baseman Howie Kendrick. The deal will cover his final year of arbitration-eligibility and his first three years of free agency.
Kendrick posted career-bests across the board in 2011, batting .285/.338/.464 with 18 home runs, 63 RBI and 14 stolen bases in 583 plate appearances. He’s also become an elite defender at second base, with some of the best range in the bigs.
Financial terms of the agreement have not been disclosed. Kendrick made $3.3 million last year.
UPDATE, 9:39 PM: Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register has confirmed Rosenthal’s report, and says the money involved is “to be announced.” Look for details to be leaked within the next few days.
UPDATE, 10:25 PM: USA Today’s Bob Nightengale says the extension is worth $33.5 million.
The Marlins designated utilityman Derek Dietrich for assignment, Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports. This comes amid a flurry of moves on Tuesday night as teams prepare their rosters ahead of the Rule 5 draft next month.
Dietrich, 29, is coming off another strong season in which he hit .265/.330/.421 with 16 home runs, 45 RBI, and 72 runs scored in 551 plate appearances. He played all over the diamond, spending most of his time in left field and at first base. Dietrich also played some second base, third base, and right field.
Dietrich is entering his third of four years of arbitration eligibility. He earned $2.9 million this past season and MLB Trade Rumors projects him to earn $4.8 million in 2019. Cutting Dietrich represents a bit more than 4 million in savings for the rebuilding and perennially small-market Marlins. Dietrich should draw some interest, so the Marlins could end up trading him rather soon.
Wonder how J.T. Realmuto, now the longest-tenured Marlin, is feeling right about now.