Agent says Francisco Cordero has multi-year contract offers

14 Comments

General manager Walt Jocketty revealed last week that the Reds have kept their one-year offer to Francisco Cordero on the table and the two sides continue to talk, but today agent Bean Stringfellow indicated that the veteran closer has multi-year offers from other teams.

“We’re making progress on a lot of fronts,” Stringfellow told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. “Multi-year contracts are definitely involved. The Reds are involved and are still interested in bringing him back. I am talking with them on a regular basis.”

Cordero is coming off a four-year, $45 million deal and saved 37 games last season, but he’s also 37 years old and saw his strikeout rate plummet to a career-low 5.4 per nine innings. Cincinnati declined his $12 million option for 2012, paying him a $1 million buyout instead.

Toss in the fact that Ryan Madson is still on the market and if Stringfellow can secure a multi-year contract for Cordero he’ll certainly have more than earned his commission.

Guardians trade OF Will Benson to Reds for OF Justin Boyd

David Richard-USA TODAY Sports
2 Comments

CLEVELAND – The Cleveland Guardians traded outfielder Will Benson to the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday for outfielder Justin Boyd.

The defending AL Central champions also will get a player to be named from the Reds in the swap.

Cincinnati drafted Boyd in the second round last year out of Oregon State. He led the Pac-12 with a .373 batting average and 24 steals in 2022. The 21-year-old batted .203 in 73 at-bats for Class-A Daytona.

The 6-foot-5 Benson spent 28 games with the Guardians last season, batting .182 with three RBIs in 28 games. The 24-year-old struggled at the plate, striking out 19 times in just 55 at-bats.

Benson was once considered one of Cleveland’s top outfield prospects, but has since been surpassed by Steven Kwan, Oscar Gonzalez and Will Brennan.