UPDATE: OK, so maybe Prince Fielder won’t consider a three-year deal

30 Comments

UPDATE: OK, maybe not.

Scott Boras told Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com that Prince Fielder will not consider a three-year deal:

“Not only is that inaccurate and delusional, but it seems that some people have gotten into their New Year’s Eve stash just a little bit early this year,” Boras told ESPNChicago.com on Tuesday.

“It appears some baseball people are just bored,” Boras said. “That’s when you hear ideas like that floated.”

7:00 PM: According to what Peter Gammons of MLB Network and NESN is hearing, yes, he could:

source:  For the record, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch heard similar information a couple weeks ago. And it’s potentially a very smart strategy. There’s no clear front-runner for Fielder at the moment, but if he’s truly willing to sign a short-term deal with a high annual average salary, some interesting and unexpected teams could get involved in the bidding.

Report: Rays sign Brandon Lowe to six-year, $24 million contract extension

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Rays and infielder Brandon Lowe have agreed on a six-year, $24 million contract extension. Lowe has just 58 days of service time, so this will cover his three years of pre-arbitration as well as three arbitration years.

Lowe, 24, earned a promotion to the majors in early August last year, playing mostly at second base but also logging time in both outfield corners. Through the end of the season, he hit .233/.324/.450 with six home runs and 25 RBI in 148 plate appearances. Lowe also performed well this spring, batting .359/.405/.692 with a pair of homers and 14 RBI in 39 at-bats.

MLB Pipeline rates lowe as the No. 10 prospect in the Rays’ system. He is in line to see regular starts at second base, but the Rays will certainly be keen to utilize his versatility throughout the year.