UPDATE: OK, so maybe Prince Fielder won’t consider a three-year deal

30 Comments

UPDATE: OK, maybe not.

Scott Boras told Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com that Prince Fielder will not consider a three-year deal:

“Not only is that inaccurate and delusional, but it seems that some people have gotten into their New Year’s Eve stash just a little bit early this year,” Boras told ESPNChicago.com on Tuesday.

“It appears some baseball people are just bored,” Boras said. “That’s when you hear ideas like that floated.”

7:00 PM: According to what Peter Gammons of MLB Network and NESN is hearing, yes, he could:

source:  For the record, Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch heard similar information a couple weeks ago. And it’s potentially a very smart strategy. There’s no clear front-runner for Fielder at the moment, but if he’s truly willing to sign a short-term deal with a high annual average salary, some interesting and unexpected teams could get involved in the bidding.

Yankees halt Giancarlo Stanton’s rehab due to calf tightness

Sarah Stier/Getty Images
Leave a comment

There was some thought that Yankees outfielder Giancarlo Stanton would soon be activated from the injured list. Stanton has been out since the beginning of April due to biceps and shoulder injuries. It will be a little while longer.

The Yankees announced on Wednesday that Stanton’s rehab has been halted due to tightness in his left calf. Stanton was scratched from Tuesday’s rehab game with High-A Tampa due to tightness around his left calf and knee, so this news didn’t pop up out of nowhere.

Stanton recorded a pair of singles and seven walks in 15 trips to the plate in the only three games he played this season, all against the Orioles. Durability has always been a concern for the 29-year-old, but he managed to play in 159 games for the Marlins in 2017 and 158 for the Yankees last year. He’s in the fifth year of a 13-year, $325 million contract originally signed with the Marlins.