Prince Fielder to the Orioles “just isn’t going to happen”

11 Comments

Baltimore has been linked to Prince Fielder at various points this offseason, but locally their odds of actually signing the free agent slugger are perceived as very slim.

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun writes that “the Orioles aren’t going to give eight or more years or $18 or more million per year to a Fielder” and adds “just isn’t going to happen.”

If his demands drop considerably that could certainly change, but Connolly says several team sources he’s spoken to recently indicated that the Orioles aren’t even strongly pursuing Fielder.

Instead he expects the Orioles to spend on pitching, and perhaps fellow Scott Boras client Edwin Jackson.

Orioles CEO, brother agree to dismiss legal dispute

Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

Baltimore Orioles CEO John Angelos and his brother Lou have agreed to end their fight over a lawsuit in which Lou accused John of seizing control of the team in defiance of their father Peter’s wishes.

Lou Angelos sued John last year, claiming John took control of the Orioles at his expense. Georgia Angelos, their mother, also was named as a defendant.

In a Friday court filing in the case, John, Lou, Georgia and Peter Angelos called on “all claims, including all counterclaims and defenses, asserted therein be dismissed with prejudice in their entirety.”

“The Parties also withdraw and terminate all pending motions submitted in these actions,” the filing said.

Peter Angelos became the Orioles’ owner in 1993, but his public role has diminished in recent years and he turned 93 last year. According to the suit, he had surgery after his aortic valve failed in 2017.

Lou Angelos accused John of trying to take control of Peter Angelos’ assets and manipulating Georgia Angelos. The lawsuit was one of a handful of off-field issues looming over the Orioles this offseason. The team also has a lease at Camden Yards that expires at the end of the year.