Minnesota made a $25 million offer to Michael Cuddyer at least 10 days ago and signed Josh Willingham to replace him yesterday, and now Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that Cuddyer “is in agreement” with Colorado on a three-year, $31.5 million deal.
By avoiding any comments to the media and not giving the Twins a decision for more than a week Cuddyer made it pretty clear that he preferred not to return to Minnesota. It seems unlikely that Colorado was his first choice when the offseason began, but few teams appeared willing to give the 33-year-old right fielder a three-year commitment and obviously calling Coors Field home is a nice bonus for any hitter.
And of course $31.5 million is pretty good money, too. Cuddyer, who was the Twins’ first-round pick out of high school in 1997 and played his entire career in Minnesota, hit .284 with 20 homers and an .805 OPS in 139 games this year and has a lifetime .794 mark.
In addition to saving $10 million in the Cuddyer-for-Willingham swap the Twins also receive a pair of compensatory draft picks, although neither will be in the first round thanks to the Rockies going 73-89 in 2011.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.
Update, 3/23: Gennett has been diagnosed with a right groin strain and will miss 8-12 weeks in recovery, the Reds said Saturday.