Troy Renck of the Denver Post spoke Thursday to Rockies GM Dan O’Dowd, who confirmed that his team is waiting on word from free agent outfielder Michael Cuddyer about the three-year, $27 million offer that was presented last week. O’Dowd also told Renck that the offer would not be improved.
“It’s out of my hands, said the Colorado general manager. “It’s an agent-player decision.”
The Rockies have also courted Carlos Beltran, but ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick heard from a source that the club is “leaning more toward” Cuddyer, who is a few years younger and less of an injury risk.
Cuddyer, 32, batted .284/.346/.459 with 20 home runs and 70 RBI in 139 games for the Twins in 2011.
The Nationals recalled 19-year-old outfield prospect Juan Soto from Double-A Harrisburg on Sunday, per a team announcement. Soto is poised to become the youngest player in the league once he makes his official debut with the club, and the Nationals’ first teenager to enter the majors since Bryce Harper made his first appearance back in 2012.
Entering the 2018 season, Soto was ranked no. 2 in the Nationals’ system and 15th overall. He’s certainly lived up to the hype during his first two years of pro ball, blazing through Single-A, High-A and Double-A levels in 2018 alone. While he logged just eight games at the Double-A level prior to his promotion to the majors, he proved consistent across all three levels this spring and slashed a cumulative .362/.462/.757 with 14 home runs and a 1.218 OPS in 182 plate appearances.
It’s not entirely clear how soon or in what capacity the Nationals will utilize their youngest player, but Soto’s tear through the minors is sure to pave the road for a few opportunities on the big-league level. He’ll be available off the bench for Sunday’s series finale against the Dodgers.