Yesterday the Rangers met with C.J. Wilson’s agent, Bob Garber, who described the get-together as “great” and said he was “pleasantly surprised” by how things went.
That presumably means the Rangers made a strong push to re-sign Wilson, but Garber declined to tell Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas if an actual offer was made and Durrett speculates that the Rangers might not be willing to give out a five-year deal, let alone the six-year contract Wilson is reportedly hoping for.
Another factor is that the Marlins’ interest in Wilson likely hinges on whether they sign Albert Pujols. If they land Pujols that would presumably mean Miami’s wallet will finally slam shut, but if Pujols stays in St. Louis there’s lots of speculation that the Marlins will throw a bunch of that money in Wilson’s direction.
Texas reportedly views Mark Buehrle and Roy Oswalt as fallback options to Wilson, but Nolan Ryan admitted that the Rangers “are more familiar and more comfortable with him than anyone else.”
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.