UPDATE: The Marlins have improved upon their initial offer to Albert Pujols

49 Comments

UPDATE II: It’s fair to say that Pujols’ agent walked away from tonight’s meeting happy. Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that the Marlins have “boosted” their nine-year offer to the free agent first baseman.

No word on the specific terms, but “one person with knowledge of the talks” said negotiations will likely play out more before a decision is reached. The Marlins’ initial reported offer was said to be for significantly less than the nine-year, $198-210 million deal offered by the Cardinals earlier this year, so this may not mean a lot yet.

UPDATE: Jayson Stark of ESPN.com confirms that the Marlins and Pujols’ agent will indeed meet again tonight.

8:03 PM: It appears that the Marlins and Dan Lozano, the agent for Albert Pujols, are already setting up another meeting, having met already once this afternoon.

The Cardinals, too, are due to meet again with Lozano. According to Newsday’s Ken Davidoff, they view the Marlins as a real threat to land the three-time MVP.

St. Louis isn’t known to have made a new offer to Pujols since he turned down a nine-year, $198 million extension in January, and reports indicate that they’re not willing to go much higher now. While $200 million sounds nice, the $22 million per year would put Pujols behind Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Howard, CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee, Joe Mauer, Johan Santana and Mark Teixeira in terms of annual salary.

Despite having already spent $106 million on Jose Reyes and $27 million on Heath Bell, the Marlins look like legitimate suitors for Pujols. They’d certainly have to eclipse the Cardinals’ offer to have a shot, but as much as Pujols is believed to enjoy playing in St. Louis, he may not take kindly to the perceived lack of respect being displayed in contract negotations. Pujols has never come close to earning what he’s worth, and while it’s true that the Cardinals don’t rake in dollars like the Yankees and Red Sox, they did outbid everyone for a premier talent in Matt Holliday two years ago.

Orioles place Chris Davis on injured list

Greg Fiume/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Orioles announced on Sunday that first baseman Chris Davis has been placed on the 10-day disabled list due to a hip injury. Pitcher Evan Phillips was recalled from Triple-A Norfolk.

It is unclear when Davis, 33, suffered the injury, but he hadn’t started since Thursday. Davis famously got off to a very slow start — setting a record for futility — but has hit better over the last six weeks or so. Since April 13, he has a .229/.302/.427 batting line with five home runs and 15 RBI in 106 plate appearances. Still not what the Orioles want, but better than nothing.

Renato Núñez and Trey Mancini will handle first base while Davis is recovering from his injury.