According to beat writer Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, 40-year-old right-hander Pedro Martinez told reporters on Saturday night that he’s planning to officially retire from baseball.
Pedro sat out the entire 2010 and 2011 seasons, and hinted at hanging up his cleats during an interview back in May. So the announcement comes as no surprise.
The sure-fire Hall of Famer posted a 3.63 ERA and 37/8 K/BB ratio in 44 2/3 innings for the Phillies in 2009. He’ll finish up with a sparkling 219-100 career record, a 2.93 career ERA and a 1.05 career WHIP. He struck 3,154 batters over an 18-year career.
Martinez said he’s planning to visit Boston and other cities as part of a reunion tour next summer.
There was some thought that Yankees outfielder Giancarlo Stanton would soon be activated from the injured list. Stanton has been out since the beginning of April due to biceps and shoulder injuries. It will be a little while longer.
The Yankees announced on Wednesday that Stanton’s rehab has been halted due to tightness in his left calf. Stanton was scratched from Tuesday’s rehab game with High-A Tampa due to tightness around his left calf and knee, so this news didn’t pop up out of nowhere.
Stanton recorded a pair of singles and seven walks in 15 trips to the plate in the only three games he played this season, all against the Orioles. Durability has always been a concern for the 29-year-old, but he managed to play in 159 games for the Marlins in 2017 and 158 for the Yankees last year. He’s in the fifth year of a 13-year, $325 million contract originally signed with the Marlins.