Ned Colletti thinks James Loney is going to get superpowers or something next year

12 Comments

I haven’t had MLB Network Radio on this afternoon because I’m too busy listening to the new Vaccines album on my speakers wot go to 11.  But apparently something interesting was said about James Loney. From Mel Antonen’s Twitter feed:

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti says on MLB Network Radio that James Loney will be at 1B for LA next season. Says 20-25 HRs possible.

OK. Let’s see: James Loney has been in the big leagues for six seasons and the most homers he’s ever hit in a season is 15, back in 2007.  Sure. I think 20+ is totally reasonable.

The Dodgers desperately need a slugging first baseman. They’ve taken themselves out of the market for that for various reasons. I suppose they think that if they create unrealistic expectations for Loney, that the team’s inability to produce from first base will be viewed as Loney’s failure rather than the front offices.

It’s not rational. But I suppose that’s what they think.

Scooter Gennett to undergo MRI after injury

Scooter Gennett
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.

Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.

The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.