People are reaching out to Joe Torre to join groups bidding on the Dodgers

4 Comments

Joe Torre has a job:  he’s the guy who has to deliver bad news for MLB, fine people and offer rather incoherent defenses of the league’s current instant replay policy. It’s a full time gig.

But is there something else in his future? Like, say … becoming part owner and potential president/figurehead of the Los Angeles Dodgers:

“I’m not part of any group,” he said by telephone Tuesday afternoon. “But I’ll tell you there’ve been a number of people who’ve reached out and inquired, but I’ve made no alliance, no commitment, as of this minute.”  Could his situation change in a month? “Who knows?” he said. “It’s certainly something you’d have an interest in.”

Among the potential ownership groups who have approached Torre is the one led by real estate developer Rick Caruso. But there are a ton of people who are interested in bidding on the Dodgers and you have to think a lot of them would love to be able to have a current front office employee/future Hall of Fame manager at the top of their term sheet. Or maybe the terms go at the top and the names at the bottom. Confession: I have never seen a term sheet before and I have no idea what they look like.

Anyway, it would be weird to see Torre playing the role of baseball owner, even if he would merely be the face of a well-moneyed bid.

Cardinals shut down Carlos Martínez for two weeks due to shoulder issue

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.

Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”

Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.