Joel Hanrahan open to contract extension with Pirates

2 Comments

Joel Hanrahan has emerged as one of the better relief pitchers in baseball since coming over from the Nationals in the Njyer Morgan trade in June of 2009. The 30-year-old right-hander posted a 1.83 ERA this season and finished sixth in the National League with 40 saves.

Sure, save totals don’t tell us much about how a player actually performed, but relievers are regularly rewarded by that metric through the arbitration process. This puts the Pirates in an interesting position this winter.

Hanrahan earned $1.4 million this season and could see his salary reach as much as $4 million in his second year of arbitration. He told Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com that while he is open to a contract extension with the Pirates, he is also aware of organization’s reluctance to hand out multi-year contracts to relief pitchers.

“Yeah, of course I’d listen to it,” said Hanrahan, who saved 40 games in his first full season as the club’s closer. “It’s every player’s goal to get a multiyear contract. If they approach me with it, I’ll listen to it and take it in. It’s a situation where we’ll see what happens.

“I don’t think the track record with relievers and long-term deals in Pittsburgh is much because I don’t think they’ve handed too many of them out. But I’d be prepared for whatever.”

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington has only given one-year multi-year deal to a reliever since he was hired in September of 2007, inking Matt Capps to a two-year, $3.15 million contract prior to the 2008 season. He ended up being non-tendered after posting a 5.80 ERA and 46/17 K/BB ratio over 54 1/3 innings in 2009.

If the Pirates sign Hanrahan to an extension now, they could buy out his final two years of arbitration and perhaps a year of free agency, but it might not be the best idea to commit major dollars to a closer when the team isn’t exactly knocking on the door of contention. This may actually be the ideal time to trade him to a contender who isn’t too keen on dishing out a three or four-year deal for the likes of Heath Bell or Ryan Madson.

Phillies option Hector Neris to Triple-A

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Phillies announced that they’ve optioned right-hander Hector Neris to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Nerris, who saved 26 games as the Phillies closer in 2017 and ten games in that role this year, has struggled this year, posting a 6.00 ERA in 30 appearances. While his strikeout and walk rates aren’t too far off what he was doing last year his hit rate has spiked and he’s currently allowing 10.3 safeties per nine. The wheels have come off of late, as he has allowed nine runs on 15 hits — five of them homers — over his last eight innings of work. Yesterday he allowed four runs in the ninth inning of a game the Phillies had led by five.

It was clear that Gabe Kapler had lost faith in Neris as a result, using him almost exclusively in low-leverage situations. That changed on Saturday, as Kapler used him in a save situation and said after the game that they were easing him back into his role. That plan obviously changed after yesterday’s meltdown.

Seranthony Dominguez had been getting the call in save situations. He’ll get them more now.