Look, kids: a real-life Kenny Powers!
According to Christian Red of the New York Daily News, former major league starter Roger Clemens has been invited to join the pitching staff of Indios de Mayaguez, a Puerto Rican winter league team that recently signed a contract with his son, 24-year-old corner infield prospect Koby Clemens.
“The Rocket” has been throwing bullpen sessions for the past couple of weeks at the Indios facilities. And while he hasn’t responded yet to the invite, the club’s GM seems optimistic that something might happen.
“He didn’t say ‘Yes,’ and he didn’t say ‘No.’ I hope he does play, because that would put people in the stands,” said Indios de Mayaguez general manger Ramon Conde.
“We have a beautiful stadium in Mayaguez by the ocean that (seats) 15,000. Clemens would put a few thousand people in the seats. The door is open.
He got his fastball up to 91, 92. I’m pretty sure he (could) get in shape in two weeks. I think he would be interested to play with his son.”
Clemens last pitched in the big leagues back in 2007, when he registered a 4.18 ERA and 68/31 K/BB ratio in 99 innings with the Yankees. The 49-year-old, due back in a D.C. court on April 17 for a hearing related to his previous perjury charge, would have to pass a physical before actually suiting up for Mayaguez.
The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.
However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”
Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.
Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.
Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.
No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.