Tony La Russa takes responsibility for bullpen mix-up

24 Comments

Tony La Russa tried to explain the bullpen phone mix-up following last night’s loss and failed miserably, seemingly throwing his bullpen coach Derek Lilliquist under the bus. Fortunately he sung a decidedly different tune in his comments to the press this afternoon at Busch Stadium.

According to the Associated Press, La Russa took full responsibility for the mix-up and said that he told Lilliquist “10 times” that it wasn’t his fault. He also shed a bit more light on how the miscommunication may have happened in the first place.

While La Russa reiterated that he called the bullpen twice to get Jason Motte ready, he admitted that during the first call, he might have mentioned Motte’s name after Lilliquist had already hung up the phone.

Plausible? I suppose. It works for a pretty good excuse, if anything. But it’s just as plausible to say that he was simply unprepared for the inning to get to Mike Napoli. Since nobody heard him, we’ll probably never know for sure.

Padres to place Franchy Cordero on DL, activate Hunter Renfroe

Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres will place outfielder Franchy Cordero on the 10-day disabled list and activate outfielder Hunter Renfroe from the DL on Monday.

Cordero, 23, has been slumping, batting .140 with four extra-base hits in 47 plate appearances dating back to May 11. The Padres noticed that the forearm issue has been affecting his swing in recent games. Manager Andy Green said, “It was something where he could swing a certain way to manage it. But swinging that way was not him.”

Renfroe, 26, has been out since mid-April due to inflammation in his right elbow. He hit .200/.281/.440 in 57 PA prior to landing on the disabled list. Renfroe played in 10 rehab games with Triple-A El Paso.