It seems like a decade ago, but Ryan Franklin actually began this season as the Cardinals’ closer.
He blew four of his first five save chances to quickly lose the job and then spent two months pitching sparingly in a mop-up role before the Cardinals released the 38-year-old veteran in late June.
Franklin never latched on with another team and attended last night’s game as a fan, telling Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that he’s leaning toward retirement:
I know if it started tomorrow I’d be leaning toward staying around the house. It was pretty neat to be able to take my kids on their first day of school. My wife thought so, too.
If he wants to stop playing but still remain in the game it sounds like Franklin could join the Cardinals’ front office, with Strauss reporting that general manager John Mozeliak frequently consulted Franklin about various personnel decisions over the years and has remained in contact with him since the release.
In a season that has seen eight different pitchers save at least one game for the Cardinals, including extended closer stints for Fernando Salas, Eduardo Sanchez, Mitchell Boggs, and now Jason Motte, it’s worth remembering that it all started with Franklin filling the role after saving 82 games in the previous three years.
The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.
However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”
Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.
Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.
Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.
No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.