Report: Josh Beckett, Jon Lester and John Lackey drank beer in dugout during games

34 Comments

Oh, man. Remember the report yesterday which claimed Jon Lester only told “part of the story” on the beer/fried chicken situation? Well, this might be the other part.

According to a report from Joe Amorosino of WHDH-7 NBC in Boston, citing two “Red Sox employees,” Josh Beckett, John Lackey and the aforementioned Lester drank beer in the dugout during games.

Previous reports indicated that they only drank in the clubhouse and Lester admitted as much yesterday in an interview with Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe. However, if Amorosino’s sources can be believed, it was a much bigger issue.

On nights they weren’t pitching, the trio would reportedly exit the dugout as early as the sixth inning, walk back to the clubhouse and fill cups with Bud Light beer. They would then return to the dugout with the cups to watch the remainder of the game. Says one Red Sox employee, the trio appeared “bored on nights they weren’t pitching and this is how they entertained themselves.” It didn’t matter if the Red Sox were winning or losing and this happened more often in the latter part of the season.

“Beckett would come down the stairs from the dugout, walking through the corridor to the clubhouse and say ‘it’s about that time’. Becket was the instigator but Lester and Lackey were right behind him.

It was blatant and hard not to notice what was going on with all three guys leaving at once.”

Bud Light? Seriously guys, that’s just unacceptable. In all seriousness, it’s impossible to say whether this sort of behavior resulted in the Red Sox losing games. Remember, they dealt with plenty of injuries down the stretch, too. But as an outsider, this strikes me as unprofessional and disrespectful to teammates and staff fully engaged in the game at hand.

UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe has confirmed Amorosino’s report via a team source.

UPDATE II: Jon Lester told Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com that Amorosino’s report is “completely false.”

Cardinals-White Sox opener pushed back to Saturday

Getty Images
Leave a comment

CHICAGO — St. Louis’ series opener against the Chicago White Sox has been postponed to Saturday, giving the Cardinals an extra day to recover from a COVID-19 outbreak.

The Cardinals, who haven’t played since July 29, were set to resume their season Friday night in Chicago. But the series opener was pushed back to a straight doubleheader on Saturday afternoon, the beginning of an extended stay in the Windy City for the Cards.

There was no word from Major League Baseball on the postponement, but John Mozeliak, the president of baseball operations for the Cardinals, confirmed the move in a conference call with reporters. Mozeliak also said the team is going to play doubleheaders on Monday and Wednesday against the Cubs at Wrigley Field after the NL Central rivals had a series postponed last weekend.

Two people with direct knowledge of the situation also confirmed the postponement of the series opener against the White Sox. The people spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because MLB had not announced the schedule change.

The Cardinals’ season has been derailed by the coronavirus. Star catcher Yadier Molina and infielder Paul DeJong are among the players who have tested positive.

St. Louis, the defending NL Central champions, has played just five games, winning two. It seems unlikely that it will be able to make up every one of its games that have been postponed during the pandemic-delayed season.

While announcing Sunday night that St. Louis’ series against Pittsburgh had been postponed, MLB said the league and the Cardinals believed it was “prudent to conduct additional testing while players and staff are quarantined before the team returns to play.”